Brake Check

The act of performing a brake check is a suggestion that maybe, you are checking your brakes to make sure that they are working. This is something that is performed while driving down the road but, you will not find this term or, how to perform it in any drivers manual or owner’s manual because there is no such thing. In fact, the brake check is something that is done whenever someone is following to close, and you want them to back off, which would be a bad time for you or them to find out that the brakes did in fact need checked.
Checking your brakes is something that a mechanic does by looking at the thickness of the brake pads to determine remaining life until you need to change the pads. Some people take their vehicles to a shop to have this done, some, like me, wait till there’s a grinding noise coming from one of the brakes, or for the pad to completely come off before changing them.
A lot of people I imagine don’t know how to change brakes but changing them regularly is a fact of life. Its like changing a tire I guess. You either do it yourself or have it done. Its not generally a lengthy process but it can be problematic.
The first time my brakes ever needed changed my dad did it for me, I helped a little of course. The next time they needed changed he said, “I’ll help you.” That time it was much more than just brakes. I did some repairs that I hope to never have to do again. The next time I needed my brakes changed he said, “I’ll loan you some tools.”
After that I did my own brake work and it seems that the weather conditions have never been favorable. It’s usually raining. One time it was a miserably hot day on a Ford Expedition. The bigger the vehicle, the bigger the brake pad, the bigger the bolts, so having the right tools is a must and those bolts didn’t want to turn. Outside of that I’ve only ever paid to have it done once and the mechanic messed stuff up.
So, if changing brakes is not in your skill set, I do recommend you try it at least once. Its helpful to know your way around the task in a pinch but, make sure the weather conditions are unfavorable. It adds to the experience: rain, sleet, snow, hale, and as my dad always says, “It builds character.”

Salutation Pending 
Johnny R Draper 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It Spins

Sun Bleached Shadows

In Passant